Historical Society of Bloomfield | Photo Gallery | TIA Glass Slides | TIA Park School Planting
Broad Street and Belleville Avenue, Southeast Corner
Unfortunately, the good work done by the Town Improvement Association has been replaced by black top and is now used for a parking lot. The house in the background was built by Mr. Hinkle for his family. The architect was George W. Cadmus; Mrs. Hinkle's father. The original double-story porch remained for many years until the facade of the house was replaced by a "Colonial" design around 1965.
Park School on the right was designed by architect Joseph Kingsland Oakes and was the original high school in the 1870's. It was heavily remodeled after the present high school was opened in 1913 and became Park Grammar School, serving the other grammar schools in Bloomfield that had no 7th or 8th grades. This ended in 1940 with the opening of the now abandoned South Junior High School on Franklin Street.
Frederick Branch, July 2010