Historical Society of Bloomfield | Photo Gallery | TIA Glass Slides | TIA Planting South End of Green
The flagpole is still in place today, but the stately elms, first planted in the 1800's by Zophar Crane, have long since succumbed to the deadly Dutch Elm Disease. A beetle-resistant strain of this beautiful tree has been developed. Possibly one day we may have new elms similar to these on the green. Unfortunately, the thickness of the shrubbery prevents a good view of the houses along Broad Street (called "West Park Place" in 1858). One of them is surely the house of Judge Amzi Dodd, which became the community house in 1920. Another would be the Volney Elliott Home, later the rectory of the Sacred Heart Church. the old house was replaced by a modern brick structure in the 1950's.
Frederick Branch, July 2010