Historical Society of Bloomfield | Photo Gallery | TIA Glass Slides | Corner Washington St. & Lackawana Place View from DL&W RR
If the passengers on the railroad were offended by the unsightly ruins of a recently demolished house, it was from a high embankment and at least a city block away. The building of the Central Motor Car Co. has been demolished - otherwise the west side of Washington remains the same.
Back in the 1870's, this area was notable as an area of fine residences and blooming gardens. At that time, the property on the opposite side of the street was owned by Mrs. Amzi Dodd, who seemed to allow this valuable real estate to remain vacant. When it was finally developed around 1912, the new buildings were a post office (second from left) an apartment house, and a Masonic Temple, all with stores on the street level. The neighborhood quickly deteriorated. The last mansard-roofed mansion had become a rooming house with a row of stores on what had been its front lawn when it was demolished around 1950.
The site in the foreground was covered by the "Plaza Building" in the 1920's and other commercial structures replaced the former homes and gardens. The 1870's mansard roofed house at the right, obviously on the way out, may give some idea of the appearance of this neighborhood in its prime.
Frederick Branch, July 2010