Historical Society of Bloomfield | Photo Gallery | TIA Glass Slides | Walnut St Station Erie RR Abandoned Express Office
The Morris Canal was just to the left of this view -- the estate of David Oakes II on the far side of the tracks. A map exists in the archives showing the Oakes land taken by eminent domain in 1871, when the New York and Greenwood Lake Branch of the Erie RR was extended through Bloomfield and Upper Montclair. The map was drawn for a suit brought by Thomas Oakes to prevent the right-of-way from despoiling his property. Similar action by the Bloomfield Cemetery Association also met with failure.
The pile of grey material on the right is probably ashes discarded from the stove that heated the station.
Frederick Branch, July 2010